University of St Andrews / Sea Mammal Research Unit, UK, 2013 – 2015
- Managing logistics concerning preparation and conduction fieldwork
- Tag handling and preparation, tagging, tracking and observing whales at sea
- Processing DTAG data
- Visualizing data by creating plots for assessing the effect by naval sonar on short term behaviour in large whales for the long-term large international ‘Sea mammals Sonar Safety’-project (3S).
RESEARCHER / PROJECT MANAGER
Conservation Research Center Marineland Antibes, France, 2010 – 2011
- Guiding and initiating research projects, such as:
- Designing and testing of new non-invasive dolphin tag
- Monitoring development of bottlenose dolphin and killer whale behavioural parameters in pregnant females and calves
- Testing relationships between respiration parameters and behaviour in adult killer whales
- At own initiative I produced a behavioural catalogue for killer whales and provided training to personnel and interns of Marineland concerning behavioural observations and data collection.
- Assisting in veterinary interventions including sharks, polar bears, pinnipeds, cetaceans, turtles and birds.
Curaçao Dolphin Therapy and Research Center / Curaçao Sea Aquarium, Curaçao, 2010
- Preparing fish
- Managing the fish kitchen
- Training sessions
- Training demonstrations
- General care of the dolphins
- Taking care of and stranded pilot whale
DIET STUDY OF THE GREY SEAL, CORMORANT, HARBOUR PORPOISE
Institute for Marine Resources and Ecosystem Studies (IMARES), The Netherlands, 2007
During four months I assessed the diet of the grey seal by analysing hard prey remains in faeces samples. My tasks included washing the seal faeces, retrieving prey remains, prey identification, measuring hard parts, and carrying out analyses. Results are planned to be published. Also I assessed the diet of the cormorant through analysing prey remains in the stomach contents and helped with assessing the diet of the harbour porpoise during a necropsy week.
DISTRIBUTION AND ABUNDANCE OF THE INDO-PACIFIC HUMPBACK DOLPHIN AND SNUBFIN DOLPHIN
Southern Cross University Whale Research Centre, Australia, 2006
For six months I assisted with the research on the abundance and distribution of the Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin and snubfin dolphin in the southern Great Barrier Reef in Australia. My responsibilities included photo-identification, data collection and processing, and boat handling in an extremely difficult environment. I wrote a thesis about the habitat use in the Great Sandy Strait (Queensland, Australia) of the Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin.
Dolfinarium Harderwijk, The Netherlands, 2005
For 1,5 months I assisted the caretakers of the bottlenose dolphins. Among my duties were cleaning, setting out the right amount of fish for the shows, assisting with (health) training sessions, veterinary interventions, feeding sessions, taking care of the central fish kitchen, and registrating the number of respirations of the animals.
MARINE MAMMAL SCIENCE
Master of Philosophy, University of St Andrews, UK, 2011-2015
My research project was focusing on the importance of respiration frequency and timing in the estimation of killer whale energetics. I have been analyzing a unique DTAG data set collected from free-ranging killer whales in Norway. Using MATLAB and RStudio I established an oxygen model to analyse fine-scale tag data, including consecutive breathing events and continuous data on underwater movements, and derive energetic estimates. The promising results are being published in the Journal of Experimental Biology.
Experience in: marine mammal biology, population biology, statistical modelling, conservation management, essential quantitative methods, research methods, bio-logging, marine mammal ethology and killer whales
Bachelor of Science, University of Applied Sciences Van Hall Larenstein, The Netherlands, 2004-2008
As research project I assessed the grey seal diet through analysing hard prey remains in faeces samples. Results will be published in the ICES Journal of Marine Science.
Experience in: (conservation) biology (in-situ/ex-situ), zoology, ethology, ethics, ecology, chemistry, mathematics, statistics, domestication, research management
High School Cambium College, The Netherlands, 1997-2004